|
Wind speeds over the crest of Mt. LeConte are gradually starting to increase, currently gusting upwards of 25mph. Total rain measured since the storms started is now at 6”. Rainfall has been light and steady all day, but heavier downpours associated with the coming hurricane are still expected. ⚠️A Flood Watch is still in effect until 2:00 PM Friday. ⚠️A Flood Warning has been extended until 5:00 AM Friday. ⚠️A High Wind Warning is in effect now through 8:00 PM Friday. Wind gusts of 80mph expected. 🌀Hurricane Helene is now a major category 4 hurricane and will churn through the south quickly after making landfall this evening. Helene will likely pass directly over the Smokies as an intense tropical storm. With the ground thoroughly saturated after 36 hours of steady rain, the likelihood of localized and widespread flooding, as well as falling trees in strong winds, is very high. The eye of Helene is projected to pass near Mt. LeConte shortly after sunrise Friday, which is when conditions will be at their worst. 🛑US 441 (Newfound Gap Rd) is currently closed due to the deteriorating conditions. Although Cherokee Orchard Rd and Roaring Fork remain open, the Mt. LeConte trails accessed from these roadways become incredibly dangerous during flood conditions due to the numerous unbridged stream crossings and tight drainages that can funnel deep and fast moving waters unexpectedly. Guests with reservations for Friday 9/27 and Saturday 9/28 are reminded to contact our reservations office to discuss rescheduling options. Per the NPS regarding the inclement weather: ⚠️US 441 (Newfound Gap Rd) will be closing at 2:00 PM today. ⚠️All park visitor centers will closing at 3:00 PM today, and will not reopen until Saturday morning at the earliest, weather pending. Due to these closures and the risks associated with the coming hurricane, Lodge guests with reservations for Friday 9/27 or Saturday 9/28 will be given the option of rescheduling later this season or for the corresponding date in 2025. The affected Lodge guests should contact our reservations office for more details if you have not already done so. There is no indication if Cherokee Orchard Rd or Roaring Fork will be closed ahead of the hurricane, but visitors should be advised that there are numerous risks for downed trees or flooded creeks along those roads or connecting trails (Rainbow Falls, Bull Head, Triilium Gap) during such forecast conditions. Please use caution. Good Morning,
The rain has been steady Eddy, with the occasional rumble of thunder and whistling wind. Over the last 48 hours, the lodge has tallied 5” of total rainfall. And yet the worst is still to come supposedly. The precip has been consistent, just never torrential, so trails will continue to be soggy and drainages flowing without overtaking their banks. Of course that could change at any moment, especially as the hurricane makes its way inland tonight, but right now the conditions up top aren’t anything out of the ordinary for a rainy stretch of days. Hikers getting started early still have a great chance at navigating the trails safely without much fuss. Since yesterday evening, Hurricane Helene bridged the gap with the conveyor belt of storms pushing up the mountain chain and has since been regularly supplying it with more moisture, contributing to the unending stream of storms and precip. Mt. LeConte appears to be situated right on the western edge of this line, preventing us from enduring the heaviest of downpours so far but still keeping us actively soaked. Winds remain calm for the time being, but that will change beginning tonight once Helene makes its push toward the Smokies. The current list of warnings include the following: *A Flood Watch occurring now through 2:00 PM Friday. *A Flood Warning occurring now through 3:00 PM Thursday. *A High Wind Warning from 8:00 PM Thursday through 8:00 PM Friday. We’re still on track for receiving anywhere between 9-14” of rain by the time this entire double whammy of storms is finished. Once winds escalate tonight, it’s possible the peaks of the Smokies record gusts upwards of 80mph until Helene has passed by and diminished. As of now, the NPS have not closed any roads or trails accessing Mt. LeConte or much of the park in general. It’s still entirely possible that could change in the coming hours, especially if conditions visibly worsen. Guests with reservations for Friday 9/27 should continue to monitor the forecast and road conditions. If any closures occur prohibiting one’s ability to make it to the mountain, we will communicate to those folks affected about what to do next. We will also continue to provide updates as we receive new information. Have a great day.
0 Comments
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply. |
LeConte LodgeWelcome to the official blog of LeConte Lodge. We hope you find the information provided here both helpful and enjoyable. Thank you for visiting the site, and we hope to see you on the mountain! Archives
July 2026
|
RSS Feed