4:30 PM Update:
We're approaching 3" of snow now as it's finally decided to stick in places. There are still strong wind gusts blowing the powder around into drifts. We've been at 22 degrees for the last few hours, but things remain a bit slushy underneath the freshly fallen snow. Temps are expected to drop some more this evening which may be enough to finally harden things up. Traction devices are your friend!
US 441 was finally closed to traffic at 4:00 PM. Cherokee Orchard remains open, so Rainbow Falls is everyone's best option for visiting the mountain at the moment.
If you're an overnight guest slated to stay tomorrow night, please communicate any questions to our dedicated office staff, available from 8-5 on weekdays. We'll try and provide regular updates through social media as well. Thanks for checking in on us and take care!
11:30 AM Update:
It is currently 24 degrees, but despite the light snow that continues to fall, the accumulation is having a hard time exceeding one inch. The winds are still quite gusty, and small drifts are forming in places. The ground itself is still quite warm comparatively and the precipitation is having a hard time freezing on the ground. Even though trail conditions remain slushy, still step carefully, particularly around the log water bars, as they tend to freeze first.
A reputable source who hiked up Alum Cave this morning said that below Cliff Tops conditions were still satisfactory, and the most wintry action was occurring on top of the mountain. We'll see how those details change over the day. US 441 remains open, but we're encouraging guests to use Rainbow Falls as the commute. This way, we can keep better tabs on those of you coming and going from the mountain, and typically US 441 closes due to weather before Cherokee Orchard Road. Whatever you decide, please keep others informed and hike safe.
6:30 AM Update:
Rain showers converted to snow showers at the lodge around 4:00 AM, and there is about a half inch of snow on the ground. We received 0.7" of rain yesterday, with a a high of 46. It is currently 27 as temps continue to fall, with snow expected to continue throughout the day. Currently Clingmans Dome Road is the only park highway closed. We will try to provide updates later in the day. Be safe if you choose to ascend the mountain today.
Welcome to the official blog of LeConte Lodge. We hope you find the information provided here both helpful and enjoyable. Thank you for visiting the site, and we hope to see you on the mountain!