2:30 PM Update:
Skies are beginning to clear off and quickly. US 441 reopened at noon, but that could certainly change over night depending on the thawing and refreezing of so much snow. Our current temperature is 24 and the snow stopped falling around daybreak. The winds are still hanging around.
We were excited about seeing the llamas make the climb today unscathed and undeterred. All those hoof prints beating down the snow should make the ascent up Trillium Gap easier for folks.
It's still a bit chilly on the mountain, so please continue to pack warm layers until spring returns. Once this snow begins to melt, count on trails being soggier than they usually are. Enjoy the winter blast if you choose to get out in the woods. We can only hope it's our last until the fall, but snow can make appearances well into May on this rock.
6:30 AM Update:
What a fine morning to be inside a warm kitchen making breakfast! Our high yesterday was only 28 and we dipped to 19 around 6:00 AM. It's currently 20 degrees. Winds have remained strong and the drifting is constant. Based on the law of averages, we're pegging our measurable snowfall at 8", with drifts putting that figure much less or up to a foot+ in places around camp. We'll see how much longer these conditions persist.
US 441 remains closed, but Cherokee Orchard is still open to vehicles and hikers. We don't know if the weather conditions will delay the reopening of Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. Again, we are encouraging folks to use Rainbow Falls today as means of travel to and from the mountain. It is extremely helpful to know which guests have made it to the lodge and those who are still out on the trail.
We will continue to provide regular updates throughout the day. Take care!
Welcome to the official blog of LeConte Lodge. We hope you find the information provided here both helpful and enjoyable. Thank you for visiting the site, and we hope to see you on the mountain!