Hello from LeConte Lodge. This afternoon I'll continue introducing you to the LeConte crew as Jeanie Lawley takes the stage in her first season on the mountain. However, first I'll update you on weather conditions.
The forecast today called for an 80 percent chance of rain. As of mid-afternoon (aside from a few light sprinkles), we're still living in the 20 percent on top of the mountain. We've not seen a great deal of sun, mostly clouds, but we've also avoided the washout of Friday morning. Friday's high was 62 degrees with an overnight low of 55 and 1.22 inches of rain. I expect we'll see more rain this weekend. However, every dry hour is more time for our guests to arrive safely and get checked in at the lodge before getting soaked.
On to Jeanie's introduction, who was kind enough to provide the following.
Well, as Nathan said, my name is Jeanie Lawley.
My husband, Pat, and I live in Mt Olive, Ala. We've been married 41 years, have a son, Daniel, and a daughter-in-law, Nealy. They are a great blessing to us!
I retired from AMERICAN Cast Iron Pipe Company in Birmingham, Ala., on March 3 after 25 years and "reported" for duty here on the mountain on March 14. Pat and I love living in the Smoky Mountains. It's been a dream come true.
A friend told us about LeConte Lodge in 1997. I called and made reservations for the 1998 season. We fell in love with this mountain and the Smokies in general. We've been coming every year since. We love to camp in Cades Cove and hike the different trails there, also.
I love being outdoors. I enjoy participating in 5k and half marathon races. One of my favorite/hardest races was the Doughnut Dash to benefit Children's Hospital in Birmingham. We had to run 2 miles, eat a dozen doughnuts and run 2 more miles to the finish line - all in an hour! My friend, Melissa, my daughter-in-law, Nealy, and I DID IT! We got the t-shirt and the medal! The medal was the main thing!
One day I hope to hike the Appalachian Trail - all the way from Georgia to Maine! I've seen the beginning at Amicalola Falls, Ga., and climbed the steps, walked a little on the approach trail...who knows?
I like to crochet, play guitar, travel and especially love spending time with family, friends and my church family...miss you all! Okay, enough about me! Put on your hiking boots and come on up to see us!
Thanks to Jeanie for providing her introduction. I hope your weekend is off to a fine start. Happy trails.
Welcome to the official blog of LeConte Lodge. We hope you find the information provided here both helpful and enjoyable. Thank you for visiting the site, and we hope to see you on the mountain!