It’s looking like today could be our last completely dry day on the mountain for a while. Hitting the ole refresh button on the forecast hoping for a change doesn’t quite seem to be working out. Winds picked up overnight and will be sticking around for a couple days, slowly blowing out the clear skies and bringing in the clouds and rain. So much of what we do up here is dictated by the weather. We’ve got one more solid day of tinkering with outdoor projects, then we’ll have to get creative with indoor tasks once the conditions sour.
Wednesday was a delightful day to be on the mountain, and a great number of day hikers thought so too. A sunny day in early March with a high temp in the mid 50s? We’ll take it! The evening’s low temp scraped the upper 30s, which in these breezes can have a bit of a bite. Best to have those layers if a summit of the mountain is in your plans today.
As we normally do during our airlift resupply, lodge grounds will be closed to the public to ensure the safety of our personnel and those visitors intent on coming to the mountain. Hikers will have access to the pit privies at the extreme west end of camp, but no other building or part of the premises. Hikers will need to bring enough water for the duration of their trip, or come prepared to treat/boil water from a nearby natural spring. And since we know the forecast shows plenty of wet weather potential, it is the responsibility of each individual hiker to come dressed appropriately for the conditions, as there will be no shelter available at the lodge until the resupply is complete. Visitors to the mountain can of course check out Cliff Tops or Myrtle Point, as those are well enough away from the lodge. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
Have a great day.