Yesterday's high topped out at 59 degrees, and our overnight low was a moderate 41. Up until sunrise, the skies were clear, but they have quickly clouded over and we can no longer see the twinkling lights of civilization below. Winds are steadily picking up as well.
There is a High Wind Advisory in effect this afternoon through tomorrow morning, along with a threat of severe thunderstorms expected to roll through the region late tonight. It's calling for wind gusts upwards of 55 mph. Please pay close attention to the forecast if you choose to ascend the mountain before the weekend, and also check in with the NPS website regarding potential road and trail closures. With these high winds, dead hemlocks and trees affected by the fires of last autumn are the biggest threat.
We have moved up our Llama trip scheduled for Friday to today on account of the incoming weather. If Trillium Gap comes through unscathed, their next ascent will be Sunday.
If you plan on visiting the mountain today, be sure and get an early start and let family/friends know of your plans. Have a great day.