It appears as though the rain is about to wrap up over the mountains. Shortly after checking an empty rain gauge this morning, it started to come down and has been on and off ever since. The winds on the other have been going on for the better part of the last day and a half. The Wind Advisory we are currently observing is in effect until 8 PM this evening. Since late last night, the winds have been consistent in their presence around camp, easily blowing 20+ mph. Yesterday's high was 60 degrees with a low of 49.
Experience has shown me that some of the strongest winds to be felt on this mountain occur along the crest, not where the lodge sits in Basin Spring. With anemometer in hand and rain gear on person, my curiosity led me up to Cliff Tops. My insistence on retrieving some great data was rewarded. Sustained winds rocketing up from the south side of the mountain were holding between 25 and 35 mph. On a few occasions, the device would whirl with gusts of 40 to 45 mph. Rain was coming from every direction imaginable...above, in front, behind, and below. After several minutes, I elected to relocate to a new position along the alternate trail that runs from the cliffs toward the shelter. Upon finding another accessible ledge unobstructed by trees, I received consecutive blasts of 52 and then 61 mph (!!!) which made the anemometer squeal. I was thoroughly saturated by that point, but elated to have witnessed such a mark. We're no Mt. Washington Observatory, but for around here that's an attention grabber. Nature's power never fails to impress.
The rain is finally falling vertically around the lodge, and the winds sound like they're losing sustained strength. We might even see the sun later today, which would be a treat for the guests currently on the trail. The weather looks fantastic the next two days. Come on up and see us!
Have a great start to the new month!