Conditions continue to improve across the region. There are lingering showers producing not much more than a mist as the storm’s remnants fizzle out. Winds continue to ease back. The remainder of the day should see a mix of clouds and intermittent showers but ought to bring some partial clearing by this evening. Creeks are running high as one would expect after several inches of rain, but there have been no reports of unmanageable crossings up to this point. All roads and trails accessing the mountain remain open. We are in the process of gathering intel on post-storm trail conditions.
Hello September! Some good news this morning as the National Weather Service has seen fit to withdraw the Flood Watch and Wind Advisory ahead of schedule. The mountains are still thoroughly socked in with clouds and as Ida rolls out, the last of its lingering showers are expected to cling to the peaks. So even though the lodge could continue to experience rain showers much of the day, partial clearing could gradually begin outside the park with each passing hour. Who knows, by tonight we might actually be rewarded with a sunset! Winds are to remain breezy, the forecast calling for sustained winds of 10-15mph and gusts up to 25mph. And like the rain chances, they’re expected to weaken as the day progresses. Temps up top should remain stable in the 50s. Be sure and layer up though as that can feel much cooler when you factor in the wet and windy elements. All roads and trails accessing Mt. LeConte remain open. If any of the terrain looks out of place during your hike, please be sure and let us know so any obstruction on trail can be addressed swiftly. Looking like sunshine returns for Thursday.
Stay dry and have a great day.