2:30 PM Update:
GSMNP has issued a news release with additional closures in preparation of Tropical Storm Florence starting later today. Cherokee Orchard and Roaring Fork Roads will be joining Newfound Gap and Greenbrier Roads to be closing at 8:00 PM this evening. All approach trails to Mt. LeConte will be inaccessible at that point and will remain as such until the NPS lifts the closure. We remain in cloud cover with winds starting to pick back up again. Temps remain mild in camp.
12:00 PM Update:
LeConte Lodge is now officially closed to all visitors for the Tropical Storm event. A reopening date has not been determined by the NPS at this time. US 441 is still scheduled to close at 8:00 PM tonight.
A current wind advisory goes into effect starting at 4:00 PM today and lasts until 4:00 PM Sunday. Sustained winds of 40 mph with possible gusts of 60 mph are being forecasted for our area. Several inches of rain are still possible on the mountain. Yesterday’s high temp was 63 degrees and our low was 53. We picked up 0.1” of rainfall from showers not yet associated with Florence.
7:00 AM Update:
Beginning at NOON today, LeConte Lodge will be CLOSED to all visitors. There will be NO hosting of overnight guests and NO day hiker services provided during this closure. Business will resume as normal once GSMNP permits it.
DO NOT PUT YOURSELF OR OTHERS AT RISK BY IGNORING THESE CLOSURES!
The latest conditions forecasted for the higher elevations and this region still pose a significant threat for causing floods, landslides, and downed trees. Winds atop Mt. LeConte have been picking up over the last 12 hours and should continue to do so. Conditions remain cloudy with temps in the 50s.
We will continue to provide updates on the tropical storm and the closure as they happen. If you are in Florence’s path, please stay safe.
Welcome to the official blog of LeConte Lodge. We hope you find the information provided here both helpful and enjoyable. Thank you for visiting the site, and we hope to see you on the mountain!