Mt. LeConte is approaching 2.25” of rainfall since we started feeling the effects of Florence. Winds have been light and variable. All of the drainages around camp have been overflowing their banks for the last couple hours, so all that water has surely made its way into the rivers down below. Hopefully the trees around the mountain have been holding firm.
The NPS has announced that the existing closures will remain in place through at least Monday morning, at which point they will be dispersing teams to assess the park for damage. Should results come back favorably, they will begin the process of reopening areas of the park. If not, closures could be extended. Since we don’t know where Mt. LeConte falls into that picture, it is too early to know when we will reopen our doors. You can be sure that once we receive permission from the NPS we will be notifying our guests with upcoming reservations quickly. Until that time unfortunately, we remain closed for business.
We’re still hovering around 54 degrees. The rain has been light but steady. It seems like the Tropical Depression is having a hard time maintaining its strength as it slams into the Smokies’ crest. Winds are breezy with only the occasional gust tapping 30-40mph.
LeConte Lodge will continue to be closed to all overnight guests and day hikers for Sunday, Sept. 16th. All roads that provide access to the mountain have been closed. No reopening date has been announced at this time.
TS Florence began moving into the region overnight. Outer rain bands have been sweeping over Mt. LeConte with occasional gusts of wind. The heaviest rains are still on their way should Florence continue on its current track. The wind advisory remains in effect until 4:00 PM this evening. Yesterday’s high temp was 59 degrees with a low of 54 this morning. 0.4” of rain has fallen so far with the storm.
We will provide updates on the weather and closure through the day. Please be safe if you are in Florence’s path.