OOOOWWWEEEE!!!! It is going to be cold under that helicopter today. The current temperature is 17º. We saw hail and then snow yesterday. It was a yucky day on the mountain. Today is clear but toe numbingly cold. We are waiting on the helicopter that is stuck in Pennsylvania due to fog. Hopefully, we will be flying later today. I guess it is time to put on my layers and get to work. Hopefully I will have photos for you in the morning.
3/19/2013 01:27:02 am
Wish I was there to help!
3/19/2013 01:28:39 am
Me, too, Tom! I'm sure there in spirit.
3/19/2013 01:27:32 am
Ahhhh...gotta love that unpredictable mountain weather...hope it's a go for y'all! Drink lots of HOT chocolate.
3/19/2013 01:28:36 am
Good morning Allyson and crew ! It does look cold in your photo; I decided to stay here in KY rather than drive down to watch the airlift today, but the sky is clearing and I might change my mind again, driving down this afternoon. It's at least a good excuse to get to the Park ! I had wondered about where the helicopter flew out of; I'm sure the entire operation is a logistical accomplishment and I would like to witness it at least once, or assist with it some day perhaps. I hope everyone will exercise caution and be safe if it does take place. G'day.
3/19/2013 01:56:31 am
Hey, theres my spot!! And about everyone elses that comes up there.
3/19/2013 01:58:42 am
Tell Tim Webb hi from Double Springs. Have fun and stay warm.
3/19/2013 12:21:38 pm
Kathy - Where is your Double Springs? I grew up about 30 minutes from Double Springs, AL.
3/21/2013 07:11:59 am
Sheldon its the one and only Double Springs, AL. Where did you grow up?
Brian N bama
3/19/2013 02:17:57 am
Well I did not have time to come up and see ya'll sunday. Due to time constraints we had to turn around at the bluff. It was a beautiful day to be on the trail. Guess I will have to wait until May 11, 2013 to see the top again. Happy Trails.
3/19/2013 02:18:42 am
Can't wait! Our trip is coming up April 3 and 4th. Should we buy some grips for our hiking boots?
3/19/2013 02:26:33 am
Your helicopter is in Pennsylvania!? So they have to fly to Gatlinburg to pick up your supplies for the airlift first? Would have thought you had something local. You may not get the lift today.
3/19/2013 03:41:58 am
Allyson & Crew good luck and be safe with the load in. Please keep reminding folks that the weather above 5000 feet is a real witch's brew until at least mid-May.
3/19/2013 05:20:42 am
Winter is holding like a...something, I don't know. I'm having a bad simile day.
3/19/2013 08:50:44 am
Rather quiet here on this site this afternoon; everyone must be watching or helping with the airlift; Sure is pretty here in KY and I'll bet I missed a good chance to drive down. Turned out I needed to stay around the house today anyway. Yeah, Kent, winter is holding on; it's dug in like an Alabama tick ! Won't let go. I was told the airlift staging zone was a bit further down from Newfound Gap as their usual location is being used now as a turnaround. I'll bet that the tourists who are not aware of Leconte Lodge and see that big helicopter flying back and forth surely wonder what's going on. Logistically, it has to require a thorough amount of planning to organize that operation, and I have a pretty good idea what it would cost. Only way to re-supply though. I might drive down in the morning if the weather is halfway decent. As usual, it's a good excuse to get there ! Debi: I like that spot, too, as well as the rockers at the cabins where I usually spend a lot of my time when up there.
3/19/2013 02:18:05 pm
Doug Y, it was a gorgeous day in southern KY. I was driving through your area on business and took a side trip to Cumberland Falls to see the Niagara of The South. The Cumberland was running mighty quick. Unfortunately only enough time to enjoy the view and not hike any of the Sheltowee Trace. Have you hiked much of the Trace?
WOW . . . am anxious to hear how the day has gone. SO GLAD ya'll didn't have the hail storms we had here in Mississippi!! I'm 54 and have NEVER seen anything like it!! We had softball size hail stones . . . SO many cars and houses in our area are damaged. There were 600 people on the waiting list to get in to get their windshield replaced this morning and that was at only one glass place in town!! Couldn't imagine what that size hail would do to the cabins on LeConte!! Hope ya'll get the drop soon!! We will be hiking up on May 7 and can't wait!! Thanks for all ya'll do to make the our LeConte experiences wonderful!!!
3/19/2013 01:13:36 pm
I will be up there first weekend in April!, Looking forward to the adventure,but hopefully no snow or ice!!!! :)
Comments are closed.
Welcome to the official blog of LeConte Lodge. We hope you find the information provided here both helpful and enjoyable. Thank you for visiting the site, and we hope to see you on the mountain!